Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Journal 1

Research Journal# 1

1.)    What was the process by which you narrowed down potential topics to two appropriate ones? And how were these decisions made on the basis of wither class discussion, or our required, course textbook (Aveyard 2014), or both?
  • ·                 I mainly used the course textbook Aveyard 2014 mainly because I had missed class time.

2.)    What research question did you choose, and how can I be sure you’re making a reasoned, academic judgement on the basis of chapters 1-3 (Aveyard 2014)?
  • ·         The research question I chose was: How do work conditions effect workers when it comes to mental illness associated with depression

3.)    What article (or articles) are you basing the question on, and what type of article is it (research, theory, policy, practice) (citation[s] in APA, please)?
  • ·         Okechukwu, Cassandra A,ScD, El Ayadi, Alison M, Tamers, Sara L, Sabbath, E. L, & Berkman (2012). Household food insufficiency, financial strain, work-family spillover, and depressive symptoms in the working class: The work, family, and health network study. American Journal of Public Health 126-33

4.)    How can I be sure that the key vocabulary of the question corresponds not only to literature in the field, but also to chapter 1-3 (Aveyard 2014)?
  • ·         I have to see when the literature was published is one of the main thing I have to look out for. With my previous topic I was about to choose something based off of a peer reviewed article that was published twenty two years ago. Even though it may be from a peer review journal the information is or can be very outdated. Another would be to make sure information is from a peer reviewed journal.

5.)    Based on what your question is what kind of literature are you going to need? Again, please explicitly reference the text (Aveyard 2014). What is your hierarchy of evidence?
  • 1.      Surveys
  • 2.      Longitudinal studies
  • 3.      Expert opinions
  • 4.      As well as quantitative and qualitative studies of workers who may or maynot be experiencing symptoms of depression.       

6.)    How do you define your key terms, and how do these definitions link to key journals in the field?
·         The main way or method I have to define my key terms is mainly by reading the abstract and listing what the possible key terms would be
o   Depression
o   Work related accidents
o   Family income
o   Family
o   Food insufficiency
7.)    Did anything unexpected happen? From your initial search, does it appear as though your research question will work? Or does the vocabulary and/or type of research sought need to be changed?

  • ·         So far unexpected things did happen from the original topic I had chosen. The original topic I had wanted to do really wouldn’t lead me anywhere so far my research question does appear like it will work. The way I am researching does need to be changed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment