Monday, February 20, 2017

Research journal 3





Article 1
Cimiotti, J. P., Aiken, L. H., Sloane, D. M., & Wu, E. S. (2012). Nurse staffing, burnout, and health care-associated infection. American Journal of Infection Control, 40(6), 486.

This would be considered a primary source it was a study that was conducted in several hospitals. This study was conducted so other factors were mentioned but burnout also played a key role in patient outcomes.

This article is relevant to my research because this relates burnout rates with patient outcomes and the relationship between infection rate during their stays. So not only are the nurses feeling the effect of the

How will this aid my research topic when it comes to presenting it is that I will be able to use the statistics provided in this study and the fact that there is a clear coronation between infection and Burnout is good on preventing infection and improving patient outcomes but also on how it impacts the overall costs of a patients care.

Effects of burnout can include hygiene lapses and medical errors due to External demands associated with burnout. This can help me in emphasizing my topic on how we can perhaps improve these conditions. 





Article # 2
Melvin, C. S. (2015). Historical review in understanding burnout, professional compassion fatigue, and secondary traumatic stress disorder from a hospice and palliative nursing perspective. Journal of Hospice & Palliative Nursing, 17(1), 66-72. 

This is relevant because my topic is on Nurses and I want it to emphasize nurses that ate responsible for patients who are very sick and who need palliative care.

What kind of source this is a secondary source because it really doesn’t include that much information on an actual study more on the research done on the topic and experiences not so much on actual data I want to present on how “Burn out” leads to unwanted patient outcomes.


What I found interesting about this topic is that this article included recommendations to prevent burnout. This was interesting to me because a lot of the research I have been finding found the sources of burnout but really did not recommend much on what to do to prevent work conditions just that there were the actual issues and this article goes deep into it. Another interesting point I  in this journal article is that in the beginning it goes ahead what Burnout is and when the term originated. How this may work for me is that when I am perhaps presenting this to my peer’s I can use this to define what burn out is instead of just me assuming everyone is on the same page. 


Article 3
Wu, S., Zhu, W., Wang, Z., Wang, M., & Lan, Y. (2007). Relationship between burnout and occupational stress among nurses in china. Journal of Advanced Nursing,


The kind of research this article is that it is A primary source from which I will use to compare to the first article by Melvin C..The relevance of this article would be that in reading this article the topic of “Occupational Stress” kept popping up in each article so far. In this article it mentions coping resources as an important prevention to burn out. Which I thought was interesting when it came to comparing the nurses who actually used and didn’t use the resources and the effects.. 


Article 4 



No comments:

Post a Comment